Drive-In rack systems provide a low budget and high density storage solution for customers with lower SKU counts. Drive-In rack systems load from the back to the front (First-In Last-Out) as the forklift literally drives into the rack system, loads the pallet onto rails and backs out of the rack system. As the system is loaded rear to front, it must it be unloaded front to rear.
- Technical Data
Drive-In systems reduce the number of aisles required in a warehouse. It is frequently used in cold storage applications, where the cost of (refrigerated) volume is at its highest and requires the most return on investment (more density).
Drive-In is limited by the warehouse management system and its ability to slot pallet locations. In practice (because only a single SKU tends to be stored per bay storage), utilization is typically low due to honeycombing.
Drive-In rack is subject to more abuse due to the constant movement of fork lifts in and out of the rack. It is also a system that can require a pallet to be handled multiple times before shipping. If multiple SKU’s or manufacture dates are stored in a bay, handling product multiple times can lead to product damage.
Determine if the Drive-In pallet rack system from Advance Storage Products meets your warehouse storage requirements below.
- High storage density for certain product mixes
- Low capital investment vs. other high density options
- Very efficient storage (ability to store pallets back-to-back without aisles)
- Inflexible, does not allow for SKU increase
- Possible low storage utilization (typically 50% of positions used)
- Low productivity (30% slower than alternative systems)
- Requires standardized pallets
- Risk of rack damage by fork trucks
- LIFO - Last In First Out
- Difficult to rotate time sensitive products
- Manufacturers with limited SKU counts
- Producers with limited product variation, date segregated production or batch production
|Structural Pallet Rack Brochure|
Learn more about Advance’s Structural Pallet Racks by downloading the PDF brochure below.